Monday, May 31, 2010

memorial day

Ok. So it is Memorial Day. A day of family and BBQ's right? That is what I use to think. But today it has hit me. What a day of sadness. I did not lose my son to a military war but I certainly know the pain of the grief that their family members feel. I try to imagine how they get through this day. I am saddened that the real meaning of the holiday is lost. I could not imagine on a day meant to honor my son the rest of the nation was just partying - not even given thought to the men and women who died so that they can do so. Not just men and women - let's be real- someones son or daughter. Just take a few minutes and imagine the pain (not that you can EVER imagine the pain of losing a child unless you have experienced it). I feel certain that the parents of fallen soldiers do not spend today soaking up sun, drinking beer, and complaining about the fact that they have to go back to work tomorrow. I feel these parents have pain that runs deep and is probably escalated to an even higher level of pain today. Please in all that you do, take a minute and remember the soldiers. If you have children, siblings, husbands, or parents (I think that include just about every one) stop and look at them and imagine how you might feel if they were gone. Imagine the pain you might feel if others were celebrating your lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment